Why an alkaline diet?
Here are some alkaline clinical trials including the first ever 2010 alkaline clinical trial for kidney functioning looking at how alkalinity improved kidney functioning; alkalinizing helped preserve GFR. This study demonstrates that sodium citrate may ameliorate kidney injury in Chronic Kidney Disease patients not on dialysis. The day has come when there is evidence in humans that alkaline treatment lowers urinary endothelin levels. Increased endothelin may be part of the mechanism whereby acidosis hastens Chronic Kidney Disease progression.
Why a plant based diet?
Most plants are alkaline. Most meats are acidic forming. When we eat animal proteins this increases stomach acidity. This stimulates the release of secretin. Secretin release causes liver cysts to expand and grow.
How to calculate neutral protein?
Calculate neutral protein: Neutral protein has been calculated to be 0.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. To calculate your own amount of protein take your body weight and convert it from pounds to kilograms then multiply your kilogram weight by 0.6. This will give you your daily neutral protein intake. For instance if one weighs 110 pounds, divide 110 by 2.2. This will give 50 kilograms. Multiply 50 kilograms by 0.6. This gives 30 grams of protein eaten daily will give a 110 pound person a neutral protein intake. Neutral protein is what goes in, comes out without any excess poundage to be added to the body. Body weight in pounds / divided by 2.2. This value x multiplied by .6 gives neutral protein intake.
Why low sodium?
Himalayan pink salt - solé: High salt intake contributes to the progression of cystic organs, according to the Lowering dietary sodium intake and elevating good HDL cholesterol are potentially modifiable traits that can positively contribute to PKD symptom expression. .
Water: Part of the job of the liver is to detoxify and metabolize body wastes converting this to a water-y compound to be eventually released through the kidneys. Eating animal products, or the equivalent of a 20% animal based protein diet, increases levels of certain liver enzymes. This further breaks down any circulating liver toxins to an even more toxic compound. It is this secondary compound that can be harmful to a cystic liver. Water helps dilute these by-products of liver metabolism. A cystic liver may enlarge greatly; however it is rare for a PLD liver to fail; nevertheless, the metabolism of estrogen can become greatly impaired through a cystic liver. These estrogen by-products contribute greatly to expanding a polycystic liver.
"These results support the need for a larger study to evaluate the effect of chronic water loading on ADPKD progression."
Why no caffeine?
Read about the harmful effect of caffeine and de-caf drinks upon cystic organs and a bit more on the dangers of caffeine.
Why no hormones?
- - Firstly we have to establish that PLD or Polycystic Liver cysts generate only from Liver Cholangiocytes cells and not liver hepatocyte cells. According to the cholangiocyte article: "Cholangiocytes are involved in both normal developmental and pathological processes of Polycystic Liver Diseases."
- Electron Microscope view of liver cyst walls. - The Italians looked at liver cyst walls with an electron microscope. Through the electron microscope it was determined that within liver cyst walls there are hormone receptors; insulin receptors; growth hormone receptors all hormones can trigger liver cyst growth. All different types of hormones can trigger liver cyst growth. For this reason severe PLD'rs are urged not to take any hormones. Some cannot even use any creams, such as testosterone cream or prednisone creams, injections or steroids.
- Cholangiociliopathies: genetics, molecular mechanisms and potential therapies. "Polycystic Liver Disease may be classified as cholangiociliopathies. In cystic cholangiocytes, overexpression of ion transporters and water channels facilitates fluid secretion into the cystic lumen, and growth factors, estrogens and cytokines promote cholangiocyte proliferation." In other words, hormones cause liver cysts to fill with fluid and expand.
- causes an increase in cholangiocytes. Liver cysts are only formed from cholangiocytes. Liver cysts cannot be formed from other liver cells such as hepatocytes. If follicle stimulating hormone causes an increase in cholangiocytes, this increase in our cholangiocytes, leads to the development of more liver cysts.
- Histamine - Cholangiocytes increase in response to histamine receptor stimulation. This is another reason to avoid the top 10 allergic foods. Cholangiocytes proliferate in response to H1 histamine receptor stimulation and liver cysts respond to this increase in cholangiocytes.
- The Top 10 Allergenic Foods - one reason to avoid allergic foods is allergic foods are capable of raising blood pressure as well as releasing histamines. The release of histamines leads to an increase in liver cholangiocytes which can create more liver cysts.
- Estrogens - stimulate the secretion of different growth factors in proliferating cholangiocytes. Estrogens and the pathophysiology of the biliary tree.
- False estrogens, xenoestrogens, endocrine disruptors are to be avoided. The body reacts as if their similar molecular structure is true estrogen. These endocrine disruptors are incorporated into the body as estrogen. All false estrogens stimulate liver cyst growth. This is from our experience living with PLD.